Wednesday, June 3, 2009

my reflection on m.u.n 09

Model U.N Reflection

Wow. I can’t believe that this year is over. I can’t believe that there are a couple more days of school. I won’t be walking into these doors everyday. I won’t be saying hi to all of my classmates’ everyday. And I won’t have my ninth period class anymore. No more model United Nations.
This year in model U.N I have had many great experiences especially for the time that I was here. If there’s one thing I can tell you it’s that I definitely don’t feel the same way about model UN that I used to feel in the beginning of the school year when I first got the class. Now I see how much of a great opportunity this was and I"m happy I made the decision I made as far as this class goes.
In the beginning of the school year when I first got model U.N it really didn’t make a difference to me. It wasn’t a class that I hated but it wasn’t a class that I loved either. I guess I sort of judged it before I knew anything about it and that was bad. It was bad because by me judging it immediately, I automatically had negative thoughts about it and those negative thoughts hindered me from opening up to it. This is why, after the first marking period, I took the class off of my schedule. “I'm not passionate about this”. That’s what I told Ms. Pollio. It wasn’t a lie though, I wasn’t. but the reason I wasn’t is because I didn’t really know about it and that was my fault for not allowing myself to.
The next marking period I came back to the model U.N class. I know this is a bit shocking. The reason why I came back was mostly because I heard how much all of the other model UN kids had fun. That wasn’t the full reason though. I also realized that this was the absolute best thing that I had to do with those 47 minutes. This also was a great asset, FOR ANYONE! Especially students planning on going to college like me. During the marking period that I wasn’t in the class I noticed how I hadn’t been doing anything with my time and we can never get time back so why waste it?
Rejoining the class was one of the best decisions I’ve made in high school so far, I say this because it opened the doors to many experiences, allowed me to enjoy myself, and at the same time I was learning and improving myself. It wasn’t all fun though but every bit of work that we did played off. Some people would probably say no because we didn’t win an award but I think that awards make it harder to actually see the other good things about these experiences involving model U.N.

My first conference was a simulation at Access High School. This one was fun but I barely talked because of how shy I am at times and because of my speech problems. At the second conference, which was in Philadelphia, I worked well with my partner for research and help but I still had a problem with speaking. By the third conference which was in the Hyatt Hotel and the actual U.N, I got over my troubles with speaking and faced my fear. Boy was I nervous but I did it and this accomplishment was more great than any award I could’ve been given. Things like this are hard to notice for many because they focus on awards and things like that. This was my award. This was the best award and it wouldn’t have been possible without model U.N. I’m so grateful for this class and I know that you’d enjoy it too.
My model U.N experience has taught me to stay open minded and to not let negativity take over you because it can get in the way of you achieving something great.

No comments:

Post a Comment